Our commitment: Ensure our buildings are designed and managed to maximise wellbeing and productivity.
Progress: Our award-winning workplace at Victoria Street is designed for activity-based working and is the UK’s largest fully WELL Certiﬁed space. Learning from this space we’re focusing our efforts on providing the right specification and amenities which support wellbeing.
Our assets should be great places to work and visit. For an office, this means designing spaces to encourage physical and mental wellbeing, whether it’s through providing exercise space, places for quiet relaxation or high-quality cycle facilities. Where we build offices this will be specified to meet health and wellbeing criteria under BREEAM and Ska rating tools. We also need to ensure that shell and core office construction specifications allow our customers to achieve WELL certification.
In retail, surveys tell us atmosphere is one of the most important factors in why our customers choose to visit. Creating the right conditions with the right mix of spaces is essential for creating an exciting and welcoming experience. We’ll need to focus on lighting, indoor air quality, thermal comfort and acoustics, creating the right conditions for comfort. Designing for wellbeing is also about creating a great place to work, as well as to visit. This means designing comfortable space and amenities for retail staff as well as shoppers.
Our 100 Victoria Street workplace
Our award-winning workplace is designed for activity-based working. We curated the physical space, employee benefits and workplace services to remove the barriers to an active, healthy and productive working day.
Promoting healthy lifestyles
- Our employee benefits promote healthy lifestyles and include discounted gym membership, on-site yoga classes, free breakfasts and healthy snacks throughout the day
- Our employees can chat with a GP through a new healthcare app, and we’ve trained mental health first aiders throughout the workplace
- The workplace has an LED circadian lighting system which matches external light levels, and white noise machines to create a sense of privacy
- The way we ventilate and clean our space is tightly controlled to keep the air free from chemicals.
Supporting activity-based working
- Our new ways of working have increased productivity by giving our employees the tools and the spaces to do their job in the most appropriate way for the task at hand.
- Our workplace has over 700 places to work from sit-stand and treadmill desks to quiet working booths and library spaces.
- 87% of our employees said their working environment enables them to work productively, this is 40% above the Leesman Survey benchmark.
To help us to roll out our learning from our workplace, we’ve set new metrics to assess and design optimum air quality, daylight, lighting and noise factors, and to design and construct new developments for future WELL certification.