For us, sustainability is about creating a lasting positive impact.
Our purpose is to provide the right space for our customers and communities – helping businesses to succeed, the economy to grow and people to thrive. We act early to address our biggest challenges and opportunities. We work hard to embed sustainability in everything we do. And we keep looking for new ways to make a positive impact – using our experience to create great experiences and benefits for others.
Our approach and priorities
From climate change and its impact on the built environment, to high levels of unemployment and disadvantage in some local communities, the challenges we face are numerous and complex.
To address these challenges, our sustainability programme is split into three core areas:
- Creating jobs and opportunities: this not only strengthens the communities in which we operate, it also helps us to attract great people to Landsec and build a strong workforce for the future.
- Efficient use of natural resources: we not only minimise our impact on the environment, but we also improve our resilience as a business and lower our costs.
- Sustainable design and innovation: this sits at the heart of our building philosophy. Making our spaces more efficient, developing in a sustainable way, and always looking for new and better ways of doing things help us deliver the very best experiences for our customers.
We have clear and stretching commitments in these three areas and we’re working hard to embed sustainability across the business, and ensure we consider the long- and short-term implications of our asset decisions, from buying to developing, managing or selling assets. As the UK’s largest real estate investment trust, we aim to set a benchmark for the industry in sustainability.
Climate change advocacy
Climate change is one of the biggest challenges facing the world today. We recognise that we can’t solve key sustainability issues such as this on our own and that it’s crucial that we work alongside our customers, government and NGOs to do so. That’s why we actively support public policy and regulation on issues that align with our business in order to drive and maximise positive change.
Following the two degree pledge made at the historic COP21 Convention on Climate Change in Paris in 2015, we became the first property company in the world to have its carbon emission targets approved by the Science Based Targets initiative. This commits Landsec to reduce emissions in line with the requirements of the global 2 degree warming target, in alignment with the actions of leading governments and companies across the world.
We were also one of the first property companies to join the We Mean Business coalition’s RE100 and EP100 campaigns, a group of influential businesses committed to procuring renewable energy and improving energy productivity. These commitments directly support our wider business goals whilst also driving positive environmental action.
At Landsec, we're also dedicated to working with our wider industry in tackling global environmental and societal problems. We are active members of the UK Green Building Council and Better Buildings Partnership, constantly working with our peers to help the entire industry improve. We also use our expertise to help tackle specific sustainability problems. For example, we are actively working with a coalition chaired by the World Business Council on Sustainable Development to expand the methodologies of setting science based targets for the built environment, allowing even more companies to take necessary climate action.
We are committed to working with our peers to tackle sustainability challenges and supporting the development and enforcement of relevant policy. Our action in this area is driven and assessed by our Sustainability Committee, which is chaired by our Chief Executive.
Chief Executive's statement
Our priority is to ensure we are sustained as a strong and admired company.
Experience tells us that thinking well ahead enables us to make smarter decisions today. Get that right and we strengthen our reputation and deepen our relationships with the people who matter most to us: our customers, communities, partners and employees."
Customers who say we’re making tangible improvements to the management of energy, water and waste
Customers who feel we have a positive effect on the local community
Reduction in carbon intensity (kgCO2/m2) since our 2014 baseline
All as at 31 March 2017
Beyond creating social and environmental value, we believe that our sustainability programmes are also actively generating short and longer-term value for our Company. We believe that our strategic activity as a responsible business results in numerous commercial benefits which ultimately help drive our competitive position in the market, and in turn, maintain our licence to operate:
- Cost savings: By reducing energy intensity across our portfolio we have reduced bills for our customers and are responding to their sustainability priorities.
- Product differentiation: The sustainability credentials of our buildings are playing an increasing role in our customers choosing our space.
- Risk mitigation: Mitigating now for climate risk and ensuring our properties are more resilient will pay financial dividends in the longer term.
- Making our people proud to work for Landsec: Our people are passionate about our sustainability commitments and we feel there is a link between sustainability performance, engagement levels and attraction and retention of talent.
- Strengthening our brand: Our sustainability performance is an important part of our brand identity and plays a key role in how we want to be perceived by our stakeholders.
- Responding to investors: We are seeing increased interest on sustainability from some of our key investors, specifically on the environmental credentials of our buildings and our carbon reduction programmes.
Assessing our impact
We have a significant impact on local communities and the wider UK economy. To better understand this impact, we now measure the socio-economic and environmental contribution of our new developments.
Visit our reports page to find the reports themselves.